- Our staff and students came together to celebrate the wonderful student achievements throughout 2021 through a formal year group presentation.
- A revised annual awards system stemmed from the challenges of lockdown experienced in 2021 that provided wider acknowledgement of students with their academic and school engagement successes.
- Through the citations and speeches within these assemblies, a strong message was echoed that identified Gymea Technology High School as a highly successful school at all levels with a wonderful and respectful student body who are truly connected to their school.
Our last week of the school year began with presentation assemblies for each year group as we continued to separate cohorts in line with guidelines. The separate presentations allowed us to focus these special formal assemblies on each year to celebrate the positive of their interactions and achievements. Every student was recognised on stage during the assembly as a way to graduate each of them completing their academic year.
The assemblies also provided an opportunity to introduce new awards that acknowledge more students for their individual achievements within their academic achievement and with their positive engagement at school. The top five students in the year were identified through performance in assessments, engagement in class, completion of work at a high standard and strong attendance at school. Within courses, students were recognised as the top performers in those courses, allowing the recognition of more than the first place ranking student. A substantial number of awards were given to students as a commitment award for strong attendance at school and strong engagement as indicated on student progress summaries.
The challenges of 2021 did not get in the way of many outstanding successes that were shared during these assemblies; In Year 12, most students intending to head off to university are gaining offers of early entry to a number of universities, our Year 7 and 9 students breaking all state targets in literacy and numeracy with school performances significantly above state averages and significantly above like school average, our Year 10 students blitzed the HSC Minimum Standards tests with almost every student meeting the minimum standard 2 years ahead of the deadline. These are just a few of the outstanding achievements that highlight the quality school Gymea Technology High School is.
A huge thank you to the sponsors for supporting our students’ achievements this year:
- ADF for the ADF Long Tan Leadership and Teamwork and The Future Innovators Awards
- Member for Miranda, Eleni Petinos MP
- Gymea Technology High School P&C Association
- Sutherland District Trade Union Club
- Miranda RSL Sub Branch
- Caterina Franco Music Academy